Sunday, March 04, 2007

Bridge to Terabithia (possible spoiler)

My husband and I took our kids (6 and 8) and their friend (7 yrs) to this movie last night. The commercials and the synopsis on moviefone.com led me to believe that this was a sorta light-weight Chronicles of Narnia movie.

NOT!

I would never have taken my kids to see this had I known the plot. My husband said it was so depressing. He was depressed for a while after the movie LOL. My kids liked it, except for the ... depressing part. My son (6) was afraid he'd have nightmares, though.

I guess they can't tell too much about the movie and twists in the commercials and trailers. It just seems like the advertising is so misleading. Even the Disney channel and the interviews and the million airings of the "Keep Your Mind Wide Open" video misrepresent the film. I'll have to be more careful in the future.

P.S. 7 yr old friend said that she had seen the movie before, but she hadn't. I thought that since her mother let her see it and she enjoyed it, that we would all like it. Oops!

5 comments:

Michelle Quinno said...

Grrrr....I hate when that happens (kid saying he/she's seen it).

Deborah said...

thanks for the heads up!

Susan H. Sauls said...

There was a movie made in 1985. A friend of mine has her middle school students read the book, and then they watch the movie. I think it is more appropriate for older children because of the difficult subject matter. It would have been better for you (and your children) to have more of an idea of what to expect. I'm sorry this happened to your family...

inkyheart said...

Thanks for letting me know. I think we will hold off on seeing this. I had no clue about the plot but at the Scholastic book fair, I picked up the book and read the summary - and thought it sounded kind of sad, with a lesson learned that might be to old for my kids. So I appreciate hearing this from you -- but disappointed that you had to learn the lesson for us! :o)

~ Amy ~ said...

I loved the movie. I took my son and his best friend (they're both 8) and they both enjoyed it. In fact I loved it so much the next weekend my whole family went (husband, son 8, daughter 5 1/2, and me). My daughter sat on my lap and I had to explain a few things to her, but she really enjoyed it too. If you go, bring a box of Kleenex with ya.