Sunday, March 18, 2007

Knitted Dishcloth

I posted this on my other (less fun and crafty) blog and wanted to share here. I finished my first knitted dishcloth on Friday. I learned a new stitch: the yarn over (yo). It creates a lacey effect by putting a hole in your knitting.

I made many mistakes and had to frog (undo) many rows many times and start the row(s) over. That usually happened within a row or two of the mistake, but when I was almost finished, I realized that I made a huge mistake about 30 rows earlier. Since this is my first dishcloth, and I'm still learning and practicing stitches, I decided to leave the mistake in.

Also, I didn't have size 7 needles when I started the cloth, so I used size 8, which makes it harder to see the pattern in the cloth. So, I've uploaded 3 photos: 1) the cloth, 2) the cloth with the butterfly pattern sketched on it, and 3) #2 again, with my "mistake rows" identified. On my mistake rows, I must have reversed the right and wrong side of the cloth, or either I repeated a row and garter stitched on both sides(???).

Here's the cloth. Kinda hard to see the butterfly since the stitches are so big:




So, I've outlined the butterfly LOL:




And here, in pink, you can see the rows that I knitted wrong (oops!). I think it just adds to the charm, don't you? ;)




Anyway, I'm glad to have completed it. Now onto something else!

2 comments:

Michelle Quinno said...

ooh, very pretty, Wendy! Shhhh...no one else will see your mistakes!!!

DawnK said...

It's very pretty and I love the lacy effect. I think if you hadn't shown us where the mistake is, no one would have ever known. I had one knitted dishcloth, that I couldn't find the right size needle and I just wanted to finish it, anyway. So, it's a little funny looking, but eventually dishcloths get icky and you have to throw them away, so I didn't care. I haven't made one in a long time and really should!